I took one of the biggest risks you can take at my age. I started a business. Looking back now, it was the best decision I have ever made and I wouldn’t do anything differently.
Starting a business when you’re 18 (now 20) comes with sacifices. I lost friends, gave up time and left school. But one thing I didnt sacrifice was sleep. Sleep is your greatest resource.
Why Sleep Is Your Greatest Resource:
1. My food delivery company consisted of a very small team. My twin brother and I managed any and all responsibilites for a long time. Over sleeping wasn’t an option and neither was not being alert. Be alert and decisive.
2. Nothing good can happen after midnight. Staying up past midnight answering emails or reading articles will do nothing. You won’t digest the article and you won’t be coherent in your emails. Grabbing a late night drink, even if they are an important, is not worth it. The opportunity cost of losing sleep trumps going to that party on campus. You could be sleeping and resting to GROW your business.
3. You feel better. No need for 15 cups of coffee and an energy shot. You did it the old fashion way and allowed your body to rejuvenate.
4. You look better. No dark circles, no bags, no lines. Go to a meeting looking like you partied all night and you will be treated like it.
5. You’ll live longer. Studies show that those who get a regular 8 hours of sleep decrease their chances of stress, heart disease and a number of other things. If you want to live to see your company go public…get some rest.
If you’re really working hard as an entrepreneur, you will go home every day ready to sleep. That’s the best sign of a hard day’s work.